Monday, March 26, 2012

Crochet Project: Golden lamp

My reasoning for placing my gold crocheted circle over my bench light is because I thought about what would make the most impact on me and my peers and where as a jewellery student I would like to feel my most inspired and encouraged.
The bench is the place I spend most my time and therefore I wanted my ‘protest/rebellion’ to be in an area where it could be something that empowered and made me feel in control (as sometimes at the bench is when we loose most control as sometimes things don’t go the way they should).
When choosing the wool, again, I related it to what I am inspired by, I found wool unlike the others and that most resembles my jewellery knowledge, also, the idea of alchemy popped into my head and the notion of making the norms or the boring into ‘gold’. I furthermore felt that placing it there was a kind of ‘protest’ to the fact that we have to work so detailed and so technically perfect at this point in our student career and our level of creativity isn’t as much as I wish it could be, so this crochet covering is a little comment on the need to creatively advance.
Obviously covering my light with crochet is not the most logical thing to do, but this idea of ‘rebellion’ doesn’t have to be logical as it really just needs to evoke something inside us, and in this case it made me feel inspired and even though I cant leave it there as it would mottle the light I need while working it creates a beautiful speckled glow. I know my placement makes me and will make the other jewellery students smile and this not being a bench working week ahead, it can just ‘be’ in the environment and bring a little ‘alchemy’ into our tough student life.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment